Ecotourism is defined as “responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people.” (TIES, 1990)
Principles of Ecotourism
Ecotourism is about uniting conservation, communities, and sustainable travel. This means that those who implement and participate in ecotourism activities should follow the following ecotourism principles:
– Minimize impact.
– Build environmental and cultural awareness and respect.
– Provide positive experiences for both visitors and hosts.
– Provide direct financial benefits for conservation.
– Provide financial benefits and empowerment for local people.
– Raise sensitivity to host countries’ political, environmental, and social climate.